About German Auto Works
German Auto Works is a St. Louis Park, Minnesota business since 1971 in sales and service of European automobiles. Prior to that, the building started out as the stable for Engell Dairy. By 1926 it was the St. Louis Park Service Garage. It operated as a car repair garage and gas station. By 1948 it was Lambin Motors, and in the 1960’s it was Park Auto Upholstery. It became German Auto Works, founded by Don Lindall, in 1971.
We’re sports and luxury car enthusiasts and we recognize that the Twin Cities has a number of fellow automobile enthusiasts that must shop outside of the Twin Cities area when looking for a truly special or unique automobile. We are here to help you find the right vehicle at the right price. Our personal service is what sets us apart from our competitors.
German Auto Works… dedicated to enthusiast motoring!
4825 EXCELSIOR BLVD. HISTORY
This building started out as the Engell Dairy’s stable; city records say it was built in 1926. In 1930 it belonged to Henry “Hank” A. Schroeder of the Schroeder Dairy Co., in Deephaven, who had the water connected to the main line that year. Schroeder was still the owner as of 1951.
From at least 1933 to 1946 the building was known as the St. Louis Park Service Garage. It was also a Mobil gas station (the tank was taken out in 1966). Some names associated with the property and some (non all-inclusive) dates are as follows:
1937-42: John P. Mason (also known as Mason’s Garage)
1947: R.H. Mohrbacher requested a permit to sell cars but was denied.
1948-54: (E.J.) Lambin Motors – new body shop
1950: Hank Schroeder operated Edina Motors
1951: A fire caused $7,000 in damages. Schroeder was listed as the owner. The front office was rented to Anico Water Softeners.
One of the more interesting tenants was Nonie’s Chow Mein, which made its debut in May 1952 and operated until about 1954.
1958-70: Park Auto Upholstery
1970: Colonial Auto Body
1971: German Auto Works, Donald W. Lindall